Monday, December 7, 2009

Christmas 2009

Christmas this year will be a little different then usual. Not only are we in a new city Jason is still without a job. So we are getting rather creative. We've never been ones to go crazy, but we do enjoy giving to our family. Usually I make cards. We decorate the house and have a tree. The girls will get a few little things from us. And I'll make a picture album of the girls for the grandparents. This year everything is different!

We knew we were going to be traveling so Jason and I decided to consider an artificial tree (never thought I'd have one of those). As we started pricing them we felt that it would not be wise for us to purchase one. Instead we used our ornament tree to display our special ornaments. First year I have not had a Christmas tree. Honestly I haven't missed it yet. No mess, no keeping little fingers away, no rearranging the living room to fit a tree. At first the girls didn't understand why we were not putting up a tree. Now it doesn't seem to matter. I guess because they know we will be in MD it's not an issue for them.

I'm also not making cards this year. That was a little harder to give up. I really enjoy crafting. Christmas cards have been the only thing I've let myself continue to do since having three kids. Too many other things need to be done. After I started thinking about how much postage, card stock, etc was going to be... it was scratched from the list. I may try and email a Christmas card. If I can figure out how to do what I want to do.

We were planning on not giving any gifts to the grandparents. Other then pictures I'm having the girls paint. That's probably been the most exciting thing for the girls yet this year. Mommy actually has paint in the house and they are getting to use it! I found a good deal on one of the picture websites I've used. So they will be getting paintings by the girls along with pictures.

Next was the girls, what to do! We wanted to do something, but knew we were very limited on cash. Jason reminded me that we had Discover Cashback bonus's saved. Why not try to use that? I started looking through what was available. Found this,Garden Rose Dollhouse
they have been asking for one similar to this every time we're in Target. Made a trip to Sam's picked up the dollhouse. Got a few things from the dollar section at Target for their stockings. In the hopes that it might help keep the girls occupied on the 12-13 hour ride home. Spent about $13 each, if not less.


I knew this year would be different. Did not expect everything that came our way. I'm enjoying being creative with what we are able to do. And starting new traditions!

2 comments:

Danielle said...

What an awesome deal on the dollhouse! I understand missing doing the Christmas cards too. I miss doing that this year a lot! It's so cool though, to see how God provides.

Anonymous said...

Love that dollhouse :) It's secretly fun to be poor, shhh, don't tell anyone I admitted to that.