Saturday, August 22, 2009

Do I "count it all joy"

Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds,
for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness.
And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.
James 1:2-4

Jason and I were recently talking about this verse. It challenged me. Do I "count it all joy?" Did I "count it all joy" while the girls and I were living in MD and Jason in TN for seven months? Am I "counting it all joy" now as we face the challenges of reestablishing our family in a new city? Honestly no. I look toward the end result, the fruit of the trial instead of the journey. I can now look back over those seven months and see how God used that time to change me. I'm thankful for that time. In the midst of it I could feel Gods hand in our circumstances and see Him working. But it was hard and I'd never want to do it again. Instead of seeing the trail as a privilege. God shaping me into who He wants me to be. I just wanted to be done. Attaining the fruit without walking through the challenge. I've recently been thinking about Job. God allowed Satan to challenge Job in every way. Taking everything from him. And what was his response... "the Lord gave and the Lord has taken away. Blessed be the name of the Lord." (Job 1:21b) "Shall we indeed accept good from God and not adversity?" (Job 2:10b) My desire is to find joy in each challenge I face. When adversity comes I want to bless God. Rejoice that He is making me into who I am created to be. Not wait till it's over when I can see why, or how God used that time. As I face the new challenges God gives me. As we enter into a new season I want to have joy in every trial. Not there yet, but I hope to be!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great post!!! Miss you :)